Wednesday, March 30, 2011

YouTube

This article briefly talks about YouTube in the classroom but does give good examples of actual classroom research done. The author makes valid points about how YouTube "provides limitless opportunities to enhance a multitude of lessons." This article also addresses how less time is wasted with YouTube, for example with videos that used to have to be found and reserved, then checked out by the students. The process is much simpler. The author does point out that many videos available on Youtube are not suitable for the classroom, but there are other ways such as TeacherTube if you want the students to perform searches.

Mullen, Rebecca, and Linda Wedwick. "Avoiding the Digital Abyss: Getting Started in the Classroom with YouTube, Digital Stories, and Blogs." The Clearing House 82.2 (2008): 66-9

6 comments:

  1. You tube has alot of X rated things. but I belive that TeacherTube will be very helpful in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There are many videos in YouTube titled one thing and the video itself is either garbage or X-rated. I have actually used TeacherTube before and it is such a relief. TeacherTube has many interesting aspects and very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using teacher tube lately, and it’s a great resource. But nothing compares to youtube.com. Youtube is limitless. You can learn how to do anything. While tutoring students I go into youtube to find math problems, ecosystem videos, rainforest sounds, and so on. Yet, teacher tube has limits and does not contain all the videos. I wish youtube had more restrictions. It is true that there is inappropriate information on this site. For this reason, I do not think it should be provided to students in the classroom. However, I do think teachers should be given the permission to use some of these videos in their lectures and teachings. I say this because youtube is blocked in school computers, including the teachers’ computer. I wonder if teacher tube is blocked as well…

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the fact that youtube has way to many inappropriat ethings that students can bump into and for that, I would say it is not safe to use in the classroom. I definitly think that TeacherTube is a great resource much more safe for our students. I hope that eventually, filtering will become more efficient and that when YouTube is used in the classroom, it filters any non-education-related junk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that You Tube is not safe for students to use in the classroom because sometimes the videos may be deceiving. One day, I was searching for kids videos since my toddler loves to sing along and I found one about five little ducks. The video started great but in the middle of the song a box appeared while the video was playing, I click to close the box and all of a sudden a guy in the toilet showed up! I was disturbed by this so I never played the video again! I also try to see the video before I he does just to make sure is safe. I believe that is a great resource as long as you have reviewed the videos before showing it to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Youtube being inappropriate sometimes. For example you may search for a cartoon character and many weird things up under that search. Some having nothing to do with it. There are not many suitable videos on Youtube either. However, Teachertube makes a little bit more sense to use in a classroom setting.

    ReplyDelete